- COURSE NAME: LAY COUNSELLING COURSE
- REQUIREMENTS: Computer and Internet.
- ENTRY LEVEL: All levels, basic numeracy and literacy.
- MINIMUM TIME: 2 Hours +
- PASS RATE: Required 80%, unlimited re-take.
- EXAM TYPE: Online QUIZ, True/False and Match.
- CERTIFICATE: Instant download on completion.
This is a generic skills programme for learners in a variety of counselling contexts where clients are enabled to go through the process of finding solutions to their concerns or difficulties. It is intended for learners who counsel people in a variety of situations, but who are not registered professionals such as qualified psychologist and social workers. It will be useful for counsellors in a variety of counselling contexts including, but not limited to, schools, Non-Governmental Organisations, Faith Based Organisations, the South African Police Service, Counselling Call Centres, Hospitals, Clinics and Support Agencies, Sports Centres, Education and Training facilities, Government and Health and Social Services facilities. It should develop learners who know their scope of practice, behave ethically in a counselling context, conform to minimum standards and know when to refer a client.
1. FUNCTIONS AND LIMITS OF THE COUNSELLOR.
- CONCEPTS OF COUNSELLING
- QUALITIES AND SKILLS OF A COUNSELLOR
- AIMS AND ELEMENTS OF A COUNSELLOR
- MODULES OF COUNSELLING
- LEGAL AND ETHICAL REQUIREMENTS OF A COUNSELLER
2. COUNSELLING ENVIRONMENT
- STRUCTURED ENVIRONMENT
- THE ENVIRONMENT
3. PRINCIPALS AND PROCESSES
- ACCEPTED PRINCIPALS AND ATTITUDE
- PREPARE FOR COUNSELLING
- CONDUCT THE COUNSELLING SESSION
4. ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOUR.
- INTERACTION SKILLS
5. APPLY COUNSELLING
- IDENTIFY THE NEED FOR COUNSELLING
- DEALING WITH OWN FEELINGS
- CONFIDENTIALITY AND STORING RECORDS
- ETHICAL CODE OF CONDUCT
6. REFLECTION ON COUNSELLING.
- IDENTIFY STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES AND SELF REFLECTION
- DEBRIEFING SESSION
- SUPERVISION OF THE COUNSELLOR
Access to course:
WHAT YOU GET
Online Quizes (True/False + Multiple Choice)
Download in PDF on completion